Thursday, January 19, 2012

My carrying a handgun...

There, I said it...I regularly carry a handgun (don't worry, I have a permit, and practice all the time!).

It probably goes without saying that my family members' and my life are undeniably important to me. I would do anything for my wife and children.

I do my best to protect them from harm. I have fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, seat belts, insurance...nutritious food, warm clothing....I do everything I can to make sure we stay safe, healthy, and protected...

...including the carrying of a self-defense weapon. In March of 2010, I took a Minnesota Carry Class. I had honestly no intention of ever actually carrying a handgun for defense. I took the class to learn more about the laws and regulations surrounding self-defense, and firearms usage in my home state and Nationwide.

My eyes were opened. Far from a problem "solver" handguns are a problem "maker" if used improperly. For example, simply showing a firearm to someone who perceives it as a threat can be prosecuted as Assault. A felony! In MN, if you or someone else is not in immediate danger of death or great bodily harm - deadly force is NOT authorized by any statute. These are the types of things you must learn and know before choosing to carry a handgun. I'm now rarely without my carry, and usually only for cases where carrying would be a crime (schools, post office etc). This is how I prepare.

It was the class that made me want to look up information concerning firearms. It led me to two sites with information specific to Minnesotans:

Minnesota GunTalk
The Minnesota Carry Forum

Both sites provided me with valuable insight into the intricacies of firearms. There is some bawdy behavior (to be expected on the Intarwebs!) but all in all, a good experience, and I've made many friends.

Learn about firearms. If you're interested, take a carry class. The Minnesota Association of Defensive Firearm Instructors (MADFI) has a great list of talented people.

Take care!
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment