Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Buying a handgun in MN

So, you want to buy a handgun.

Now the questions...how does this work, what are the laws, what can/can't I buy?

For someone (like me) who wasn't brought up with anything other than a Red Ryder BB gun...buying my first handgun was an experience.

2006...specifically Fall of 2006...October to be precise. I'd had an experience. We were doing a fairly drastic remodel of the house we'd just purchased, without living there at the time. Due to space at the in-laws, where the fam was camped, I was working out of a small 2nd story office (which was the only part not being worked on) in the house.

I'd come over to the house one evening after dark to work for a few hours, and I'd found muddy footprints (not my own) extending into the basement from the unlocked door. After determining no one was in the house (in hindsight not the brightest course of action), I'd gone up to work in my office. It was later I decided that, had there been someone there, it might not have ended well for me. This drove me to hit Gander Mountain the next day - again, not the best choice for overall value or experience, but HEY, I was learning.

Now, I knew enough to have what Minnesota calls a "Permit to Purchase a Handgun" that I'd gotten from my local police department after going in person, filling out a form, and waiting ~7 days. You'll need one of these before you can buy anything from a licensed dealer in Minnesota. You could also go all out and get a Minnesota Carry Permit as well -- those will also function as a purchase permit.

I hit Gander one afternoon after everything was done for the day. Walked back to the gun counter, and the conversation went something like this:

"Hey, can I help you?" - GM guy
"Yeah, I'm looking to buy a pistol." - Me
"What kind?"

Well, there was the question. I'd shot a friends 9mm Hi-Point (don't judge me) and his Jennings .22 (again with the not judging). I knew those were crap (sorry Jay) - so I asked for something "better than a Hi Point".

"Polymer or steel frame" - GM guy
"Um....what?" - Me

Yeah, I didn't know the difference just a little over 5 years ago...I ended up being sold on a Springfield xD9. A pretty nice little semi-auto, and in hindsight, something I never should have sold, since it turns out I shot it best of all.

"Lets do the paperwork, have you got your permit?"
"Yup"

A review of my permit, driver's license, filled out Form 4473, and call to NICS (with a "proceed"), and I was out the door with my new toy, a box of hollow point Winchester white box, and no idea what to do next - I went to the range, by myself...thats another story.

The moral of this story:

1) Learn firearm's safety (MN DNR has an excellent course).
2) Take a "Intro to Handguns" class at a local range.
3) Get comfortable shooting handguns, know what works for you, and how they function.
4) Get your Permit to Purchase (or go all out and just get your Carry Permit, it works as a Purchase Permit too).
5) Go buy it (and a safe place to store it as well).

...and for heaven's sake, don't go to Gander Mountain to buy it!

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment